Re: xerces21 status

Hallo,

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 04:33:06PM -0400, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:

> >Jeroen van Wolffelaar <jeroen@wolffelaar.nl> wrote:
> >
> >> Hrmz, and what about xerces21, currently still in unstable and testing?
> >
> > There are two packages (gdal and qgis) that depend upon xerces21.
> > Bugs have been filed against both (301710/301650 and 301709), and both
> > maintainers have already responded. . . .
>
> I haven't seen any recent activity on this from the maintainers
> (though the qgis maintainer can't do anything until the gdal
> maintainer does).  My inclination is to execute the following plan:
>
>  * File a removal request for xerces21 noting that I am not the
>    maintainer of xerces21 but am the maintainer of the newer versions;
>
>  * Ivo (xerces21 maintainer) gets the removal request, and replies to
>    it giving his blessing.  (Alternatively, Ivo, who is copied on this
>    message, can beat me to the punch and file the removal request for
>    xerces21, cc'ing me so I know, or can speak up and say he that he
>    objects to removal of xerces21 for some reason.)
>
>  * Once this happens, we upgrade the three above mentioned bugs to RC
>    (since they will FTBFS), and state intention to NMU if no response
>    in a given period of time.  I'm copying maintainers for gdal and
>    qgis, so they can respond too before I do this, maybe making the
>    whole plan irrelevant.
>
> Is this too aggressive?  The bugs requesting upgrade of the other
> packages are two weeks old now, so it seems like this may be a
> reasonable approach at this time if we want to remove xerces21 but not
> gdal and qgis.

No, it is not to aggressive. I appologize for the inconvenience
since I - being the gdal maintainer - am responsible for the delay.
A new gdal package, depending on xerces26 has been uploaded
yesterday by my sponsor so that qgis can no be rebuild as well
before xerces21 is removed.

Regards,

	Silke

--
Intevation GmbH

Georgstrasse 4                    49074 Osnabrück, Germany
http://intevation.de              http://intevation.de/~silke
FreeGIS.org                       http://freegis.org/