Re: Fwd: apt-get dist-upgrade will remove metapackages

On Tuesday 05 April 2005 06:22 pm, Frans Pop wrote:
> Is the release team aware of this issue?
> Will migration to testing of the new vim be blocked automatically until
> this is solved?

  It's even more fun if you're using aptitude, because then you get this:

  (A) apt says "oh, kvim is broken.  I'll remove it."
               "oh, that broke vimpart.  Well, I'm trying to upgrade vim, so
let's try removing vimpart."
               "oh, that broke kde.  ...must..upgrade...vim...  bye-bye, kde"
               "yay, everything is consistent.  Let's go."

  (B) aptitude looks at apt's solution and says "aha, there are 24 (or
whatever) packages with nothing depending on them!  You don't need 'em, I'll
remove 'em."

  (C) aptitude proudly announces it's found a way to free 100MB of disk space
by removing all of KDE.

  This sort of thing has made it into sarge in the past -- I got a report from
one user who had to reinstall KDE after something like this.  I haven't made
up my mind yet whether the problem is that apt doesn't know about removing
unneeded packages, that aptitude doesn't somehow tell apt about this, or that
metapackages are a dreadful abuse of the packaging system.

  Daniel

--
/------------------- Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> ------------------\
|                      I haven't lost my mind,                              |