Timeline for exim4 updates

Hello,
exim4 currently has three major upgrades pending:

#1 Upgrade to 4.43.
4.43 has been in experimental with no problems at all for quite some
time. The current 4.43-2 package is almost identical to 4.34-10
(approved to sarge) except for adaptations to new upstream (mainly
dropped patches), addition of lintian overrides to source-package
(no change to built package) and a two-line patch to change the order
of prefered ciphers to mirror the upcoming 4.50 release.

I don't expect any problems with 4.43, it has been released 2004-10-06
and afaik no major bugs (which do not apply to 4.34, too) have been
discovered.

#2 Fixing #244095/#259459/#280207
Currently exim4's templates for nullmailer setups are buggy and
contadictionary. Template text and effect do not match. I consider this
to be very important.

I've got a patch improving this a lot including 35 (out of 38) updated
debconf template translations (Thanks, Christian). It works ok in my
tests but needs widespread testing, i.e sid.

#3 switch to db4.2.  no patch yet. Shouldn't be difficult though (if
upgrade from db3-version ; then delete hint-database; done ). This
also requires testing by lots of people, i.e. sid or a staging area.
(That is a safe change re d-i, db4.2 is already installed by
debootstrap)

This is a nice to have but the least important, imho. (Bug submitters
disagree, though.)

All three problems share that downgrades might be painful or next to
impossible.
-----------------

So, how do I get this into sarge as fast as possible? (Starting Feb 1st,
my time for Debian will be crippled so I need to do as much as possible
before that date.) I see these possible szenarios:

1) step by step.
solve #1 in sid. After 10 days it is forced into sarge.
Then #2, then #3.

Obvious problem: Impossible to get both #1 and #2 into sarge before Feb
1st. I'll just twiddle my thumbs waiting.

Benefit: Realistic to get 4.43 into sarge fast.

2) all at once (break and fix)
upload 4.43-3 to sid featuring patches for #2 (and later #3).
Once everything works out (I don't expect to need more than two
followup uploads) packages goes to sarge. (#3 can be pre-tested in a
staging area at the same time _if_ it is acceptable for sarge in the
longer term.)

More changes seem to give a better chance of introducing rc-bugs, but
#1, #2 and #3 are completely orthogonal so we'd just introduce more
rc-bugs at once instead of drawn over several weeks.

2a) all at once + staging
upload 4.43-3 to sid featuring #2.
upload 4.43-3 +db4.2 patch to staging area.

I personally strongly prefer 2) or 2a) and unless -release is strongly
oppossed would go for it _soon_.
                cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"