Woody to Sarge upgrade and Debian menu.

Dear debian-release team,

Adam C Powell IV has reported a problem (bug #289702) when upgrading
from Woody to Sarge.

Background:
The packages below in woody had buggy postinst/postrm scripts that does
not check whether update-menus was executable before calling it:

ghostview gwm joe vim-gtk vim-perl vim-python vim-ruby vim-tcl vim xodo
xvier wn

(I believe the list is complete)

update-menus is shipped as non-executable in the deb and made executable
in the postinst. This is meant to avoid other postinst script to call
it while menu is unpacked but not configured.

In the above list, ghostview and gwm have been removed from Sarge, so
there is no way to fix their maintainers scripts.

Adam proposed I change menu to Conflicts with ghostview and gwm to
prevent them to be removed when menu is unpacked but not configured.

Do you think this will work ? I tried to reproduce the situation in
a sandbox but the problem did not show up (due to different packages
ordering by apt).

Alternatively I can ship update-menus executable in the final release
for sarge. The risk being that some dependencies of update-menus is
not configured when update-menus is run. However with the curent
dependency the risk might be low:

Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), libgcc1 (>= 1:3.4.1-3), libstdc++5 (>=
1:3.3.4-1), dpkg (>= 1.10)

So what would you advise me to do ?

Thanks in advance,
--