Re: Please remove alsa-modules-2.4.27-1*

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 04:23:16PM +0100, Thomas Hood wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 02:44 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > To alleviate this problem, I request that alsa-modules-2.4.27-1* be
> > > removed from sarge.
> >
> > Is this an issue with the current version of alsa-modules-2.4.27-1 being
> > broken wrt the original 2.4.27-1 ABI, or is it just an issue of the current
> > kernel-image-2.4.27-1 packages in testing not conforming to that ABI?

> The latter.

> > This
> > isn't clear from your message.  If the problem is the first of these, then
> > removing alsa-modules-2.4.27-1 from testing is of course a reasonable
> > solution.  If it's the second, I don't see what good removing the binaries
> > will do anybody

> Well, as you say, the practical advantages may not be so great, since
> removing alsa-modules-2.4.27-1* from the archive won't result in these
> packages being removed from systems that already have the packages
> installed.

> However, removing alsa-modules-2.4.27-1* from the archive will result in
> people not having broken kernel-image+alsa-modules combinations if they
> are installing sarge afresh.  What removing alsa-modules-2.4.27-1* does
> do is make sarge more consistent with itself than it currently is.

> All the *2.4.27-1* packages have to be yanked eventually and since
> alsa-modules-2.4.27-1* are not serving any useful purpose in the archive
> now (and has the potential to confuse people), I'd say they should be
> yanked now.

I would say that they are currently still useful to users of testing who
are running old 2.4.27 kernels and wish to install the alsa modules.  Since
having them present in testing doesn't *decrease* the usability of anyone's
system, I'm still disinclined to remove them from testing unless there's
reason to think we won't be shipping them with sarge at all.  In the
meantime, the numerous merged RC bugs are a vibrant reminder that this is a
TODO item. ;)

If you feel that strongly that they should be removed, I will remove them in
spite of my own objections.

> > Also... I know why kernel-image-2.4.27-2 isn't in testing yet, but I
> > don't see alsa-modules-2.4.27-2 anywhere, even in NEW?

> We haven't done an alsa-modules-2.4.27-2* release yet.  That shouldn't
> affect the decision about whether or not to remove
> alsa-modules-2.4.27-1, though.

I was actually expecting to file a new RC bug today about these packages
being uninstallable in unstable now that the 2.4.27-1-* kernels have been
removed, only to find to my surprise that the alsa-modules packages only
Recommend the kernel-images, rather than depending on them.  Wouldn't it be
much better to actually depend on the precise kernel image that the package
is known to be compatible with, to avoid bugs from users who install them on
systems running custom kernels and expect them to work?  (I think the
chances of someone having /lib/modules/2.4.27-2-386 in their depmod path,
and *not* running a Debian kernel image, are rather low.)

Anyway, you're right that none of this affects whether to remove the package
from testing; I'm just more concerned about resolving the kernel ABI
transition than I am about removing source packages from testing that we
fully expect to be re-adding shortly.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer