Woody -> Sarge upgrade report

Hello,

this is an report of an woody to sarge upgrade. To give a short summary first:

Given the complex and non-standard setup for the upgrade, the upgrade was more
than impressive. There was one glitch, with unmet dependencies. Although it
is most likely caused by a backport from X and KDE it might be worthwhile to
investigate. Many users might upgrade from a system with backported X and
KDE. Furthermore the error message from apt was not helpful at all

Now the details:

System:
---------
The woody system had a backported KDE 4:3.2.2-0.credativ.2 and a backported X
4.3.0-0woody4+4.0pre1v3. I decided to update the system from two sarge dvd
images on an usb disk with jfs. The kernel running on that system had no jfs
support. So I booted Knoppix 3.7. I chrooted (mount with -o dev,rw) to my
debian system. From there I did not have access any more to the usb disk any
more. I started the sshd on the knoppix system and added an ssh target to
localhost (which is knoppix) for each dvd image into /etc/apt/sources.list. I
generated the two DVD images I used around the 20th of December with jigdo
files from http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/dvd/jigdo-area/i386/

The upgrade process:
-----------------------

[The full typescript is available at
http://www.alzental-castle.de/typescript.woody-sarge-upgrade.txt.bz2 .]

# apt-get dist-upgrade

failed, with

Fehler traten auf beim Bearbeiten von:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libxext6_4.3.0.dfsg.1-8_i386.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libice6_4.3.0.dfsg.1-8_i386.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libsm6_4.3.0.dfsg.1-8_i386.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/xlibs_4.3.0.dfsg.1-8_all.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libx11-6_4.3.0.dfsg.1-8_i386.deb

Restarting did not help.

Knoppix:~# apt-get dist-upgrade
^MReading Package Lists... 0%^M^MReading Package Lists... 0%^M^MReading
Package Lists... 2%^M^MReading Package Lists... Done^M
^MBuilding Dependency Tree... 0%^M^MBuilding Dependency Tree... 0%^M^MBuilding
Dependency Tree... 0%^M^MBuilding Dependency Tree... 50%^M^MBuilding Depende
ncy Tree... 50%^M^MBuilding Dependency Tree... 68%^M^MBuilding Dependency
Tree... Done^M
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
  libhtml-parser-perl: Depends: perlapi-5.8.3
  libterm-readkey-perl: Depends: perlapi-5.8.0
  perl: Depends: perl-base (= 5.8.4-3) but 5.6.1-8.7 is installed
  xfree86-common: Depends: debconf (>= 1.2.9) but 1.0.32 is installed
  xlibs: Depends: xlibs-data (= 4.3.0-0woody4+4.0pre1v3) but 4.3.0.dfsg.1-8 is
installed
  xlibs-dev: Depends: libice-dev but it is not installed
             Depends: libsm-dev but it is not installed
             Depends: libx11-dev but it is not installed
             Depends: libxext-dev but it is not installed
             Depends: libxi-dev but it is not installed
             Depends: libxmu-dev but it is not installed
             Depends: libxmuu-dev but it is not installed
             Depends: libxp-dev but it is not installed
             Depends: libxpm-dev but it is not installed
             Depends: libxrandr-dev but it is not installed
             Depends: libxt-dev but it is not installed
             Depends: libxtrap-dev but it is not installed
             Depends: libxtst-dev but it is not installed
             Depends: libxv-dev but it is not installed
             Depends: pm-dev but it is not installed
             Depends: x-dev but it is not installed
             Depends: xlibs-static-dev but it is not installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
Knoppix:~#

apt-get -f install told me

E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by
held packages.
E: Unable to correct dependencies

This was misleading, I am not aware of any hold packages.

The final resolution of that problem came with

dpkg --purge xlibs-dev libmng-dev

but that was more guessing than knowing.

After this problem was fixed, the upgrade went pretty smooth.

The complete typescript is available at
http://www.alzental-castle.de/typescript.woody-sarge-upgrade.txt.bz2 for
reference (and for usability studies ;-).

In summary, I liked the knoppix based upgrade. I never feared that I end up in
a bad kernel or lilo configuration, which makes the systems unusable...

Many thanks for the great distribution.

Rainer
--
Rainer Dorsch