Re: BinNMU for qgis

On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 15:12 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 09:51:18AM -0500, Steve Halasz wrote:
>
> > I believe qgis needs a BinNMU for bug 339254.
>
> A binNMU is not going to change the package name, which is what that bug
> requests.
>
> Apparently, there was no package name change for the *previous* C++ ABI
> change either.  This is very problematic for partial upgrades from sarge and
> is also likely to affect partial upgrades *from* etch, which are both
> release-critical targets.  Since qgis provides both shlibs for libqgis.so.0
> and a -dev package, it seems clear that the intention is to allow packages
> to link against this library, in which case the lib must be handled
> according to Debian library policy.
>
> This probably means splitting libqgis0 out as a separate package.

qgis-dev was created in response to a bug mostly to help reduce the size
of the main package. All the plugins that use libqgis are part of the
qgis package. So although there is the possibility that in the future
there will be separate source packages building against qgis there are
none now and I don't expect any soon. It seemed simpler not to get into
library packaging if it wasn't necessary. But I agree that the -dev
package creates a certain expectation and I should probably bite the
bullet and create the libqgis0 package.

Thanks,
Steve