Re: C++ transitions status report

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 12:43:26AM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> It's going pretty well, really.  :-)
>
> ****
> The following packages are still linked with g++ 2.95 (!):

<snip ancient and irrelevant packages>

> ****
> The following library packages still need renaming for the C++ ABI change
> (see http://people.debian.org/~djpig/gcc-transition/, among others):

<snip libraries with roughly no reverse-dependencies :)>

> ***
> And the following library packages haven't built in c2 versions on
> all architectures, and therefore prevent other packages from
> transitioning:

> pdfkit.framework -- m68k (blocks viewpdf.app, gworkspace.app)

m68k should just be ignored for these purposes; the arch is doing much
better than in past months, but it's still not quite keeping up to the point
that we're checking installability counts there.

> ***
> There are too many applications built with g++ 3.3 to worry about
> getting all of them until we finish the libraries.  :-P

I would suggest that it's more useful to begin tracking down these
applications (and most likely binNMUing them) as soon as the c2a libs are in
place, as the only other libraries that haven't transitioned are either
negligible or have limited arch-specific failures.

> ***
> The following library packages need renaming for the
> C++ allocator change (see
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/11/msg00010.html;
> this has the uploaded ones removed from the list):

You might want to use
<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=tag&users=debian-release@lists.debian.org&data=transition-libstdcxx-allocator&repeatmerged=no&nam0=Status&pri0=pending:pending&ttl0=Open,Closed>,
saves you the trouble of trying to keep your own list updated.  (I haven't
quite got the syntax of that URL copied quite right from the example I was
using, though; I don't think we really want pending bugs listed under
"Closed"...)

> ***
> The following library packages have been renamed for the C++
> allocator change but haven't built on all architectures yet.  The
> ones near the top have other problems which must be addressed too.

>   apt -- FTBFS on s390, bug filed

On what package?  Anyway, it looks like a buildd issue.

>   arts -- FTBFS on hppa, bug filed

Don't see this bug anywhere either.

> ***
> I haven't even tried to think about the packages which need a rebuild to
> pick up the c2a dependencies.  Perhaps the best way to do that is with
> a page like http://people.debian.org/~mfurr/gxx/uninstallable.html.

Actually, for a first iteration I'm going through each of the transitioned
libs one by one, looking at the reverse-deps of the previous lib name (on
i386 only), and scheduling binNMUs for those packages if all of their
affected build-deps have transitioned.

I'd be happy for someone to feed me a list of remaining packages in need of
rebuilds; in the meantime this should get about 90% of the affected
packages, and if nothing else britney will tell us about the other 10% when
the time comes.