Re: Problems with ntp

George Danchev wrote:
On Wednesday 14 September 2005 10:03, Steve Langasek wrote:

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 01:07:30AM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:

I just discovered that the ntp source is a nest of licensing problems.

The arlib subdir isn't distributable.
Neither is the entire libparse subdir, or anything else by Frank Kardel.

I'm not actually sure it will build without these bits.

So I guess NTP should be removed from Debian.  It's not very
maintained anyhow, having multiple RC bugs open for quite a while.

What are you going to replace it with?  AFAIK, ntp is the only package
we have in Debian which supports useful clock synchronization, which is
essential for a number of other services (e.g., Kerberos).

I've never tested openntpd, but it is the obvious replacement in case of legal problems with ntp and it has been released with sarge.

I use openntpd and that works better then ntp IMHO.

Obviously we can't ship non-distributable code, but I'm not going to
remove ntp from testing just because it appears at first blush to be
inconsistently licensed.  The maintainers should have a chance to clear
up this question first.

Agreed.

Also agreed.

Regards,