Re: RFC on mysql 4.1 in sarge

On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 12:01:58AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 02:49:13AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > I see the same three options.  Joey has said he is working on a final woody
> > point release for the last weekend in May; you'll probably need to
> > coordinate with him and get something uploaded soon if you want to try for
> > this option.
>
> AFAIR, upgrades from Debian 3.0r0 to Debian 3.1 are supported.

Yes, this works, I've done it recently at home - with one caveat.

I installed the system from a Woody DVD (Linux Emporium 3.0r0) BUT
then immediately upgraded it from the network - which took it to 3.0r6
or whatever - before apt-get upgrading to 3.1. As/when Woody becomes
oldstable - hopefully at the end of the month, we'll still need to keep
that upgrade path via the network available to patch Woody 3.0r???
to 3.0r7 in preparation for 3.1.

The other alternative for those few people without a network connection
is to essentially include a complete Woody in the Sarge DVD's :(
[This would add another DVD which would probably make four for some
architectures for the binaries - Hmm, two "double sided" DVD's for
binaries + same for source makes four DVD's - would package well in
an Infomagic style box :) ]

> If this is not true, Debian 3.1 CDs will have to include a CD that
> upgrade Debian 3.0r0 to Debian 3.0r7 or you will leave your users
> without an upgrade path.

Sarge on CD is going to be pretty unwieldy. 14/15 CD's of binaries
plus the same of source. I've recently installed Sarge on a
non-networked machine which needed to have access to everything Debian
so needed to burn those 14. The number of people needing to do this
is probably going to be fairly small - but I was landed with a new
server which ONLY had a CD drive because the DVD drive cost
significantly more. [When I mentioned that the machine it replaces had
a DVD writer for backups and data transfer, the sysadmin went white
at the probable cost and paperwork needed to get the upgrade done at all
- bloody proprietary hardware :) ]

Andy