Re: lastest mc for sarge

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 08:59:31PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 05:25:55PM +0200, Ludovic Drolez wrote:
> > The two last upload of mc [1] fixed a huge number of bugs including
> > 3 important bugs which broke crucial features of mc.
>
> > Actually unstable'mc is more stable that sarge's mc.
>
> > Could mc 1:4.6.0-4.6.1-pre3-3 be put in sarge ?
>
> The changes are too extensive,

In fact, mc has been adopted after being unmaintained for months, maybe
years. So we had more than 100 bugs in the bts. This explains why so much
bugs were fixed by the last 2 uploads. But I beleive that all the bugs fixed
are important to have mc in good shape for sarge.

> and you've made no mention of which fixes in
> here are important.

Here are the important bugs (and a commentary):

- #308296: mc segfaults on charset encoding change. => made the text editor
           and viewer broken for non english people
- #308546: mc: Doesn't show ".." when browsing inside .tar.gz. => broke the
           number one feature of mc : the VFS.
- #308794: mc: END => broke the editing and syntax highlighting of c/c++ files

And some bugs tagged as normal but seem important to me:
- #299932, #307292: mc: editing jar archives doesn't work anylonger => the
        VFS for .jar and .zip was broken

The last 2 uploads fix important bugs which broke major features of mc.
Letting the 'unstable' mc go into 'sarge' will enable us to have a mc nearly
as good as the woody one.

Ludovic Drolez.

http://www.palmopensource.com       - The PalmOS Open Source Portal
http://www.drolez.com      - Personal site - Linux and PalmOS stuff