Re: RFC on mysql 4.1 in sarge

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 02:16:55AM +0200, Christian Hammers wrote:
> On 2005-05-18 Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > Quoting sean finney <seanius@debian.org>:
> > <SNIP>
> > > so at this point, we're not sure what to do to cover this last problem,
> > > as we have no guarantee the preinst of mysql-server-4.1 will even run
> > > before mysql-server/woody is removed.  the only fix we can think of is
> > > to remove the two directories from the files.list of the woody package.
> > >
> > > so we've come up with three options, none of which are great:
> > >
> > <SNIP>
> >
> > I may be misunderstanding what you are saying.  But, I think that if you
> > create a package called mysql-server-4.1-upgrage (or something else
> > suitable) and then you make you make mysql-server-4.1 predepend on it, then
> > mysql-server-4.1-upgrade can check for the existence of the symlinks.

> As a direct upgrade from mysql-server (3.23) to mysql-server-4.1 without
> a prior upgrade to mysql-server (4.0) is quite unlikely, I would like
> to see our last upload, which in addition has some notes in README.Debian
> and the Debconf installation notes regarding this, to be accepted for
> Sarge.
> Relevant versions are 4.1.11a-2 and 4.0.24-10.

> [2nd issue - statically linked db3]

> The new bug #308966 explains that mysql-server and libnss-db produce
> segfault crashes as mysql-server until now still had the obsolete BDB
> engine enabled which uses a statically linked local db3 version.

> Thus BDB support could now complete been removed as luckily support for
> BDB was not present on most architectures, disabled by default and
> being warned at startup for a while now and will most likely be removed in
> 5.0 upstream anyway.

> I have a package ready (4.1.11a-3), do you want it for Sarge, Steve, or
> do we rather live with this bug?

I would like to see bug #308966 fixed for sarge, yes.

While you're at it, could you please move your CACHEDIR in the maintainer
scripts out of /var/cache and into /var/lib -- perhaps to
/var/lib/mysql-upgrade or something?  Putting this in /var/cache is an FHS
violation because the data can't be regenerated if removed, and if for some
reason there is a delay between running the preinst and running the postinst
(perhaps a dist-upgrade that fails for some unrelated reason), and the admin
has a reaper that prunes /var/cache, you could again get the symlink/dir
bug.

You also probably want to avoid running this code unless you're known to be
upgrading from a version of mysql-server that shipped /var/lib/mysql or
/var/log/mysql as a directory in the package.  Hmm, that's probably hard to
know for mysql-server-4.1 though, so never mind.

And this is now piling corner case upon corner case here, so I don't think
it's worth a new upload of mysql-dfsg just to fix these issues; but it would
be nice if you could address the CACHEDIR one for 4.1.11a-3.

As for whether to keep the private BDB library with mangled symbol names,
vs. removing the BDB support, I leave that choice up to you, since you would
know better than I how important this feature is.

Thanks,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer