Re: Freeze exceptions: parmetis, ccc, babel, illuminator; please be considerate to busy developers

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 06:36:07AM -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> I must say, as a Debian developer at a US university, I feel this freeze
> process has treated me very inconsiderately.  We were told for about
> eight months that a freeze was "on the way", which after four, five, six
> and seven of those months didn't sound credible.  Then suddenly in one
[..]

> Given that processing of the NEW queue has been extremely slow over the
> past several months (e.g. mpich lib restructuring sat there from Dec 22
> to Feb 19), which only picked up *after* the freeze, how can the release
> team treat developers this way?  "Your packages are not important enough

That's not true. The new FTP assistants were announced in March:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2005/03/msg00142.html
NEW processing picked up dramatically from March. The final freeze
occurred in early May.

I humbly suggest that if you had treated each of those almost-freeze
announcements as a call to get your packages ready, they would be
in pretty good shape. They didn't all clash with your busy times of
year. Co-maintainers and NMUs can help too.

Hamish (not a release assistant, so don't flame them for my comments).