Re: Call for upgrade testing

Hi Andy,

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 07:01:16PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > On 16.05.2005, at 11:55, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > >We mentioned in the freeze announcement[1] that we needed
> > >volunteers to
> > >help with processing upgrade reports -- taking them apart, identifying
> > >the bugs that appear, and assigning them to the packages
> > >responsible so
> > >that they can get fixed for sarge.  Our call for volunteers got us a
> > >total of, uh... one person offering to help, so we could probably use
> > >more. :)  If you are an experienced user who is good at figuring
> > >out who
> > >to blame when things break, and you have some time you'd be willing to
> > >spend helping make sarge the best Debian release ever, please contact
> > >debian-release@lists.debian.org.  We'll be happy to put you to work.
> >
> Having just done one - and noted the minor problems - I'll happily do
> another one or two.

> KDE from 2.2 - 3.3 was hard to fathom, as was the change in the format
> of the Debian apt entries - but other than that, pretty much a breeze.

What format change are you referring to?

> The upgrade from kernel 2.4 - 2.6 (which a lot of people will be tempted
> to do) breaks some modules for me - for others it breaks a whole lot
> more. Is there a set of simple instructions, for example, to explain
> how to move a mouse from ps2 to mousedev.ko and psmouse.ko and make
> the changes stick?  Similarly, udev and hal could break things for some
> folk - I had someone on the phone for an hour trying to sort things out.

Frank Lichtenheld has tried to find a good user-oriented guide to 2.4->2.6
kernel upgrades on the web, and come up empty.  If you have the time and
inclination to try to document some of the hairier changes (I have no
illusions that it will be comprehensive), I'm sure the release notes
maintainers will be grateful.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer