Re: RFFE: portmap 5-11

Anibal Monsalve Salazar wrote:
> The version of portmap in sarge is 5-9. Please consider portmap 5-11
> for sarge.
>
> Version: 5-11
> Closes: 305505 306929
> Changes:
>  portmap (5-11) unstable; urgency=high
>  .
>    * Changed all references of '/etc/default/portmap' to '/etc/portmap.conf'
>      in postinst, init.d, templates and po/*. Created postrm. Removed default.
>      This fixes RC bug "Portmap modifies conffile from postinst", closes: #305505.

Um, why not just replace the conffile with a non-conffile? I don't see
the purpose of renaming it.

Also, your handling of /etc/portmap.conf if the config and postinst
scripts is really not up to spec on best practice for handling config
files with debconf. Such a trivial file format can be fully parsed and
handled as described in the debconf manual, allowing debconf to be aware
of changes made manually.

Also, unlike the comment in the file claims, manual modificatons are
lost as soon as the package is reconfigured (or upgraded, I think):

root@dragon:/home/joey>cat /etc/portmap.conf
# Portmap configuration file
#
# Note: if you manually edit this configuration file,
# portmap configuration scripts will avoid modifying it
# (for example, by running 'dpkg-reconfigure portmap').

# By default listen on all interfaces
#
# If you want portmap to listen only on the loopback
# interface, uncomment the following line (it will be
# uncommented automatically if you configure this
# through debconf).
OPTIONS="-i 127.0.0.1"
root@dragon:/home/joey>dpkg-reconfigure portmap
Stopping portmap daemon: portmap.
Configuring portmap
-------------------

Portmap by default listens to all IP addresses. However, if you are not using
RPC services that connect to remote servers (like NFS or NIS) you can safely
bind it to the loopback IP address 127.0.0.1.

This will allow RPC local services (like FAM) to work properly while preventing
remote systems from accessing your RPC services.

You can change this configuration also by editing the OPTIONS line in the
/etc/portmap.conf file. If you just don't specify the -i option it will bind to
all interfaces.

Should portmap be bound to the loopback address? no

Starting portmap daemon: portmap.
Restoring old RPC service information...done.
root@dragon:/home/joey>cat /etc/portmap.conf
# Portmap configuration file
#
# Note: if you manually edit this configuration file,
# portmap configuration scripts will avoid modifying it
# (for example, by running 'dpkg-reconfigure portmap').

# By default listen on all interfaces
#
# If you want portmap to listen only on the loopback
# interface, uncomment the following line (it will be
# uncommented automatically if you configure this
# through debconf).
#OPTIONS="-i 127.0.0.1"

>    * Fixed "SIGCHLD handler doesn't preserve errno", closes: #306929.
>      Patch by Alexander Achenbach <xela@slit.de>.

Not important or RC is it?

> Version: 5-10
> Closes: 286301 301130 301535
> Changes:
>  portmap (5-10) unstable; urgency=high
>  .
>    * Re-added the debconf configuration, although the default for this is now
>      to have portamp listening in all interfaces. The debconf setting
>      allows system administrators, base-config and cdd developers to preseed
>      this value to 'true' (link only to the loopback interface) if needed.
>      Patch by Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@computer.org>.
>      Closes: #301130, #286301.

So you made a change in -10 that introduced a RC bug that was fixed
in -11? And no changes in -10 were RC or even important. The point of
freeze exceptions is not to allow continuing unstable development of
packages in sarge so I don't see why this should be accepted.

--
see shy jo