Re: woody->sarge upgrade removes perl (and a bunch of other stuff)

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 07:22:41PM +0200, Luk Claes wrote:

> Andre Lehovich wrote:
> > On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> >
> >>- It is a apt-get bug only, aptitude handles the same situation just
> >>  fine. But both apt-get from woody and sarge bail out.
> >

> > Is apt-get a supported upgrade route from Woody to Sarge?
> > The release notes [1] recommend using aptitude instead.
> >
> > [1] http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/alpha/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#s-upgrade-process

> The recommended route is not the only one. I (and probably a lot of
> users) expect apt-get dist-upgrade and even dselect or synaptic to work.

This is not the only reason for preferring aptitude over apt-get for
upgrades; there have been a number of upgrade issues that aptitude handles
better than apt-get where it's not clear that this can be considered a bug
in apt-get.

In this case, OTOH, there seems to be a real bug in the handling of
libterm-readline-perl-perl.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer