init.d script dependencies for etch?

The traditional way of ordering init.d scripts is to have two-digit
numbers for the symlinks in /etc/rc*d directories. It seems pretty clear
to me that a dependency based scheme would work better here. Switching
from one to the other could, I think, be done gradually, given
sufficient magic and hair, but it is a big change that is going to touch
a great many packages.

I would like to work on making this happen for etch. I don't have an
implementation yet, let alone a plan for how to do it, and I won't start
work until after sarge is released, so this is just a heads-up for the
release team.

Anyone who wants to tell me this is a really bad idea, or has
suggestions on the implementation, please mail me in private or take
this thread to -devel. Thanks.