Re: util-linux for sarge

Hi LaMont,

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 06:59:18PM -0700, LaMont Jones wrote:
> Please consider util-linux 2.12p-4 for Sarge.  Relevant changelog chunk
> below.

> Cons:
>   - it's a change

Additional con:

 - depends on a newer version of e2fsprogs than we currently have in
testing, which requires updating roughly a half dozen frozen libraries

> Pros:
>   - Fixes for a number of bugs.  2.12j through 2.12p were the result of
>     a bunch of activity between upstream and myself.
>   - 2.12p-1 has been in sid since December, and -2 through -4 change
>     next to nothing (yes, "next to nothing" includes that security vul
>     compliments of libblkid1 fixed in -4.)
>   - 2.12-10 (currently in sarge) represents only minor tweaks since the
>     previous significant work back in Feb 2004.
>   - 2.12p-4 uses dpatch instead of a large monolithic .diff.gz, making
>     it much easier to maintain down the road.

> thoughts?

Is the severity of any of the various bugs fixed important or higher?

> util-linux (2.12p-4) unstable; urgency=low

>   * Depend on newer libblkid1.

Hrm, this looks like a bug in libblkid1 to me, since the shlibs were not
updated when the new public functions were added...

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer