Re: [Urgency] How to make libchewing & scim-chewing into Sarge?

On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 12:41:28PM +0100, Enrico Zini wrote:
> Dear Release Managers,

> Andrew and Kanru are very active Taiwanese Debian people, and they're
> working hard on making input methods work fine in Debian.

> I'll quote the entire message to your attention; maybe you want to
> coordinate with them on this issue.

> > Since debian installer has released rc3, I am quite worry about the
> > input method support for our users in Taiwan.

> > Cause libchewing and scim-chewing are still in NEW queue:
> > http://qa.debian.org/~anibal/debian-NEW-summary.html

> > The current scim package in sarge has well supported tables and IMs
> > for our users in Hong Kong and mainland China, but missed the
> > important one - chewing IM for most users in Taiwan.

> > Most of our users in Taiwan are need scim-chewing and have been
> > waitting for it into Sarge for a long time.

> > Could you please give me some hits how to make libchewing and
> > scim-chewing into Sarge as soon as possible?

The short answer is, "upload it in January instead of in March".

Except when a new package is needed to fix a release-critical bug (and
adding an input method that has never been supported is not
release-critical), the release team doesn't get involved in NEW processing.

Considering the packages were uploaded four days ago, the automatic message
that was sent in reply to the upload seems relevant here.

In any case, if you want to ensure that the packages will reach testing
quickly once they have cleared NEW, you should do as much testing as
possible beforehand, including testing that they build correctly using tools
such as pbuilder, so that we don't have to file release-critical bugs about
such problems once the packages reach unstable.

> > And we also hope we can put these two packages into tasksel instead of
> > xcin(big5 only) input method.

I think tasks are also frozen for sarge now.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer