Re: irc meeting regarding kernel status d-i RC3

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 07:43:36AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > I don't think we'd want 2.6.10 to enter sarge until we had consensus
> > that it should replace 2.6.8 as the sarge 2.6, though I'm sure we meant
> > the same thing.

> Which is "release sarge", isn't it ? :-)

> I guess that a lot of people around have already been on a Debian
> booth in an expo, but I can assure you that people I've seen coming at
> our booth in the french expo these days just don't care about
> the latest sexy kernel or whatever but they have always the very same
> question.

> So, please please please, people who will attend this meeting, only
> focus on that one topic and have all your discussions driven by it and
> only it.

> I won't attend it and even if I would, I would give you folks no
> valuable input except that one you already know.

> I still have to understand whether 2.6.8 is suitable for a release or
> not. It may not be perfect but, given what I currently feel about the
> Linux kernel from my dummy point of view, it will never be, nor will
> 2.6.10, 2.6.11 and 2.6.whatever. So, unless there are security issues
> with that kernel, I think we probably have to live with it and work on
> backporting the fixes we need for release critical issues.

The log of this discussion of the issues with 2.6.8, and the trade-offs with
trying to switch to 2.6.10, can be found now at
<http://minbar.dodds.net/~vorlon/kernel-2.6.10-discussion.log>.  There are
no security issues involved, but there are clearly some problems with trying
to backport fixes for the current problems faced with 2.6.8.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer