Re: Please allow diffutils 2.8.1-8 in testing

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> On 2005-01-18 Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> wrote:
> > diffutils (2.8.1-8) unstable; urgency=low
>
> >   * Repackaged source without the GFDL-covered manual. Closes: #212523.
> [...]
> > [ The new diff-doc package is in preparation and almost ready, there
> >   is a preliminary version in my home page at people.debian.org ].
>
> Hello,
> Wouldn't it be better to keep this updated diffutils out of sarge
> until diff-doc has been uploaded (and accepted) to non-free? By
> letting diffutils (2.8.1-8) _now_ into sarge we run a real chance of
> shipping diff in sarge without documentation.
>
> I realize this is more a question to the maintainer than to -release,
> - the release team probably does not want to be drawn too deep into
> discussions on the consequences of 2004/vote_004.

Well, there are two things to clarify here:

* The new diff-doc will go to main, as it's based on the texinfo
manual from diffutils 2.7 (plus GPLed material from the current package,
i.e. the output of --help and the manpages).

* Even if there is no diff-doc, the diff package will not be
undocumented, as it includes (GPLed) manpages.

In either case, I would not mind that diffutils is put on hold until
diff-doc has been uploaded and accepted. In fact, I noticed an embarrasing
typo in the copyright file that I plan to fix today in 2.8.1-9 :-)

Thanks.