Re: Obsolete binaries

* Santiago Vila [Mon, 20 Dec 2004 00:28:58 +0100]:

> I see that the gambas package is in your list, why do you want to remove it?

> I think it would be better not to draw conclusions ("ftpmaster needs").

> Being empty does not always mean the package should be removed,
> it may be a convenience package to install a set of related packages.

  from the page:

  gambas no longer provides binary gambas-gb-qt-kde. ftpmaster needs to run 'rene' to remove it.
  gambas no longer provides binary gambas-gb-qt-kde-html. ftpmaster needs to run 'rene' to remove it.

  that means that, although gambas stopped generating the gambas-gb-qt-kde-{,-html}
  packages at some point in the past, there are still old versions of
  those outdated packages in the archive (see e.g. [1]). an ftpmaster
  will have to run a tool/script called 'rene' to have those removed.

    [1] http://packages.debian.org/gambas-gb-qt-kde

  in the case of gambas, and AIUI, whether they get removed or not is
  not relevant for it migrating to testing (since there is no gambas in
  testing). but most of times, having old packages lying around
  effectively prevents packages from migrating (that is, if the obsolete
  packages are present in testing).

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

Russian roulette in bash: ((RANDOM%6)) || rm -rf ~