Re: Problem with kernel on SATA hosts - RC?

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 06:37:52PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> The problem is with near certainty that you updated from a
> sata-ide driver to a sata-scsi driver. The device names for your disk
> subsequently changed from /dev/hda to /dev/sda.

No, I am positive that I have been using libata-style SATA support all the
time. The disk was /dev/sda all along, even after the initial installation!

I did try to install the Knoppix 3.4 kernel (2.6.6, old IDE-SATA) on the
machine during my rescue attempts, because it seemed to be capable of
reading the disc. The kernel booted and ran OK after setting up lilo
correctly (the disc ended up as hde instead of sda). However, the old
driver was too buggy; disc accesses were very very slow and syslog was
flooded with messages about IRQ problems.

> 2. the root device changes but mkinitrd still puts the old one into
> the initrd (default is probe).

Just to check whether something like that was the cause, today I purged and
re-installed the Debian kernel-image-2.6.8-1-686 package, with root=sda5
under my working home-made 2.6.9 kernel. Booting the system with this
kernel still failed with the same error messages.

> 3. the device names change but /etc/fstab is not changed. If you get that
> far then the fsck tests will fail.

I don't get that far. :-/

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  0x888354F7
  ¯ '` ¯