libtiff 3.7.0 for sarge?

I (in discussion with others) had decided earlier to wait until Sarge
before packaging tiff 3.7.0, but there are now four reasons why I
think we should move ahead:

 * tiff 3.7.0 has been out for some time now and has had time to be
   shown to be stable

 * a handful of debian tiff package bugs currently outstanding or
   recently fixed are either fixed in 3.7.0 or have been backported
   from 3.7.0

 * 3.7.0 is definitely binary compatible with 3.6.1, so no library
   transition is required

 * Other big packages, like GNOME 2.8, are going into Sarge.

Besides, a binary compatible libtiff update is small, unobtrusive, and
easily rolled back if there are any problems.  I stay on top of issues
with libtiff and am follow the upstream mailing lists.

I am planning on preparing packages for libtiff 3.7.0, and I will be
going through all the debian-specific changes on 3.6.1 carefully to
make sure I understand them and understand how they are dealt with in
3.7.0.  Unless I hear any objections, I will arrange to have these
uploaded very soon.

Comments?

--
Jay Berkenbilt <ejb@ql.org>