Re: education-common: con't fulfill the Recommends on !i386

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 11:38:02PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> Package: education-common
> Version: 0.801
> Severity: serious
>
> education-common recommends grub which is available only on i386.

education-common is an arch: all package, therefore, it is technically
impossible to have an arch-specific Recommends:

Because this bug isn't one used as a reason for britney to keep a package out
of testing, and the package is otherwise installable, this package is now in
Sarge.

Release Managers, what do you think of this bug?

1) Do you agree it is RC?
   - I'm personally tending to say: yes. If a package is installable on an
	 arch, it should also be able to fulfil recommends.  Post-sarge, all
	 packages that are not installable on certain archs should not be in the
	 Packages.gz files for their uninstallable archs, or something analogous
	 to that

2) How should it be resolved?
   - Personal favourite, make this package arch:any, and have per architecture
	 the needed boot loader for that architecture. I think any
	 moderately-complex meta-package that depends on very architecture
	 dependent stuff (I.e., hardware specific drivers, kernels and
	 bootloaders) should be architecture: any, to be able to have
	 architecture-dependent package relations. Maybe this part of
	 education-common should be split out into education-boot, so that only
	 that package needs to be any, but that's something the debian-edu folks
	 should decide.

Comments?

--Jeroen

--