Re: [Oldenburg] topics for today's meeting

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 02:21:13PM +0900, Kenshi Muto wrote:
> At 25 Sep 04 04:16:56 GMT,
> Joey Hess wrote:
> > We're having a meeting today in Oldenburg at 1 pm to talk about both
> > immediate release plans and post-sarge d-i stuff. This is just a draft
> > of some things we might want to cover at the meeting.

> > Release plans:

> > 	Come up with a draft release timeline, based on this one:
> >         29 Sep last day for udeb changes for tc2
> > 	       udebs propigated to testing (rc1 breaks)
> > 	30 Sep release tc2 (or give up on the idea)
> > 	       string freeze begins
> > 	 7 Oct translation uploads
> > 	       last day to upload fixes to packages on initrds
> > 	 8 Oct initrd builds start for rc2
> > 	21 Oct initrd builds finish (or earlier..)
> >                last day for uploads of any udebs or debs for rc2
> > 	22 Oct udebs propigated to testing (tc1 breaks)
> > 	       full debian freeze probably starts here
> > 	       final CD builds
> > 	23 Oct testing begins
> > 	29 Oct web site updates
> > 	       and rc2 release

> Well, from "Subject: Release update: Qt, arts, arm, yes; freeze date,
> no" by Steve:

> >   N+16 days
> >   90 RC bugs
> >   d-i RC2
> >   Freeze time!

> > A release candidate of d-i will require about three weeks to prepare, so
> > preparations will need to begin before testing-security is fully
> > operational to meet this timeline.  Because this process has not started
> > yet, and because of the Oldenburg conference that will keep many of our
> > installer team busy, this gives us a date for "N" of at least two weeks
> > out from today.

> > If all goes well, for both RC bug fixes and the d-i RC2 release, we'll
> > be ready to freeze the rest of the archive at this point.  Changes to
> > base+standard are limited to RC fixes only; fixes for RC bugs and
> > translation updates are allowed for the rest of the archive via
> > testing-proposed-updates.

> >   N+30 days
> >   0 RC bugs

> Hmm, Joey's plan breaks Steve's initial plan something? (at least RC2
> release date and full freeze date)

The only plans it's reasonable to have are ones that the teams involved
can live up to.  If this is the schedule that Joey believes is possible,
then I don't see much point in disagreeing with him.

Unless there is some visible progress on the remaining autobuilder
issues in the next week, I think an intermediate TC2 will be best, to
give us the testing coverage we need to ensure RC2 can be considered
final.

> Do we need to have more test time after release RC2? Or RC2 release is
> really final version and release full Sarge at same time or soon
> later? (although this is RM's decision)

The more bugs we can fix while preparing the release, the better; but as
we all know, many users won't test until it's released...

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer