Re: mass bug gnustep programs: policy violation

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 10:35:34AM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> [Adding d-release because of the last question; please drop it on
> replies as d-release is not a discussion list.]

> > > Do you really and honestly believe that this bug means that gnustep is
> > > not of release quality.

> > (a) the policy needs to be reviewed as to whether it's impractical, or (b)
> > the non-compliant packages need to be removed.

> > So far, all I've seen is people saying that GNUstep doesn't need to follow
> > Policy, which I cannot agree with.

> No, I didn't say that. I just said that this behaviour is
> 1. an important, but not serious bug
> 2. that changing this behaviour at the given moment of time would do
>    the package and the release a dis-favour, and the changing itself
>    would constitute a serious bug.

Placing executables under /usr/lib/<package>/ is not a violation of the
FHS; it's often sufficient for the author to assert that the binaries
are not intended to be executed directly by the user for us to accept
that this is the case.  The fact that there is an "openapp" helper
utility that's the recommended way to invoke these programs is further
evidence of this; this is quite different than if the recommended
invocation involved adding /usr/lib/GNUStep/<...>/<...>/ to your PATH or
calling the binary with an absolute path.

If you wish to argue that certain apps *should* be directly executable
by the user, you may, but this does not constitute a serious bug.

OTOH, expecting users to source a script to set up the GNUStep
environment before being able to invoke *any* of these apps is a policy
violation; as is placing arch-independent data under /usr/lib/GNUStep.
Per <http://people.debian.org/~ajt/sarge_rc_policy.txt>, these sorts of
bugs are considered RC for sarge.  I would not say that an exemption for
these pre-existing bugs is impossible, but I also would not advise the
maintainers to expect such an exemption in the absence of evidence that
they have first put forth an effort to resolve this problem in the time
remaining before sarge's release.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer