Re: Upgrading stable postgresql to 7.2.4

On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 12:42:30 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi Debian release team!

debian-release is primarily concerned with the next stable release, not with
point releases of the current stable release. In fact the release manager
and his assistents are not responsible for point releases of the current
stable release; Martin Schulze, the stable release manager, is.

> PostgreSQL's upstream recently complained that Debian users still complain
> about errors in 7.2 which were fixed long ago in bugfix updates. Stable
> currently has 7.2.1, but there are three point releases up to 7.2.4 up to
> now which only contain bug fixes and no new features (see [1], [2], and
> [3]).
>
> These bugs are not exactly "truly critical" nor do they make postgresql
> uninstallable (as written in the Dev's Reference), however, their fix may
> be important for many people.

http://people.debian.org/~joey/3.0r3/ details the (very conservative)
criteria for accepting a package into stable. From your description it looks
like PostgreSQL does not fullfill them.

> Would you consider allowing 7.2.4 in the next woody point release or
> doesn't it have any chance?

I strongly doubt it has a chance.

> Can I put the package in stable-proposed-updates anyway?

I don't think that's productive. It's probably a lot more productive to use
your energy to bring the existence of www.backports.org (which has 7.4.2
backports available for i386) to the attention of PostgreSQL upstream and
the users experiencing problems with stable's 7.2.1.

HTH,
Ray
--
People don't respond to any events as real people facing events would.
Otherwise, only one company would ever have installed Microsloth software.