Re: removal / ignore suggestions

On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 01:35:05PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > > # undistributable code in non-free, maintainer doesn't take action
> > > remove 3270/3.2.17-2
> > > remove abc2mtex/1.6.1-5

> > At only 22 days, these are currently below my threshold.

> What is your current threshold?

Roughly 30, until we get closer to having all of the RC bugs older than
that being addressed consistently (through fixes or removals).

> > > # ignore 232715 - master.cf modified by maintainer scripts and a conffile
> > > # reason: updates from woody to sarge work.

> > I would prefer that if the package is going to specially handle the
> > config file, the maintainer use a tool such as ucf instead of touching a
> > conffile.  As such, I'm not going to tag this myself, even though the
> > impact appears to be minimal.

> I fully agree with you about the way I'd like a package handles this.
> However, due to the minimal impact of the bug and the de-facto
> importance of postfix, I didn't make a removal suggestion on postfix
> (even as there is a second RC-bug that's definitly not sarge-ignore).

I think it's worth noting that the impact of this bug may also extend
beyond this particular package, since a package as important as postfix
is likely to be imitated (poorly) by others.  C.f. the longstanding
problem with xfree86's lossy config file handling.  Even if it appears
to not cause any directly user-affecting bugs at present, editing
conffiles is just something you Don't Do.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer