Re: Upload of GNOME 2.6 to unstable

Ar 17/04/2004 am 15:14, ysgrifennodd William Ballard:
> On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 08:09:54AM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > I'm not sure the question of shipping GNOME 2.6 in sarge has anything to do
> > with GNOME or the Debian packages of it at all, really... It is more about
> > when sarge is going to ship, and the kinds of risks Debian's willing to take
> > in that process.
>
> This sounds like the perfect sort of thing for a minor release 6
> months following a major release.
>
> Does Debian do "point" releases?

Yes, but they are of very limited scope. The contain only updates which
are Very Important: security fixes, fixes for packages which were
uninstallable, fixes for grave bugs (such as major data loss), and other
things of comparable priority.

I know some people might think a new version of GNOME is the Most
Important Thing Ever, but I think the release team takes a different
view on the matter. :)

I suspect that if Debian released more regularly, people wouldn't be so
desperate to get things into the next release, which tends to make
things later. I can see both sides:

 - Testing should be kept up-to-date because once it's released as
   stable, it isn't going to change much for two years.
 - Testing should only receive bug fixes because new versions introduce
   bugs and bugs makes the release late.

It's not a new problem - Debian has had it for years and lots of clever
people have been trying for a long time to improve matters with little
success. The question for the moment is this: if we push GNOME 2.6 into
unstable, what is the impact on sarge going to be?

--
Dafydd