Re: Release Update - proposed packages

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org wrote:

>   * Where possible, avoid new major upstream versions of other packages.
>     If in any doubt about whether an upgrade is appropriate, contact the
>     release team.

     I have been planning to package and upload two new upstream
versions of existing packages, and request the release team's OK.

     1. dictd-1.9.13 - According to the changelog, this release is
        mainly code cleanup and bug fixes.  The bug fixes appear to
        apply to obscure bugs that have not been reported in Debian,
        or to environments other than Debian.  The only new feature is
        a plugin that permits using a SQL server as a DICT database.
        (Because access to header files and some programming knowledge
        is needed to setup a plugin, I have shipped README files about
        plugins in the Debian package, but have not included plugin
        libraries or compiled plugins in the package.)  As with any
        new version, bugs are always possible.

     2. dict-foldoc - The FOLDOC does not have versions and releases
        as usually understood.  The dictionary is updated almost every
        night, and is downloadable from the home page.  I have planned
        to release a new Debian package every 4 to 6 weeks, but have
        seldom kept to that schedule.  The current package is about 6
        months old.  In the past, bugs filed against dict-foldoc have
        almost all been requests for updating certain definitions or
        for additional definitions, with an occasional minor packaging
        bug.  I do not believe a new dict-foldoc package would
        present a problem for sarge.

     Please let me know if you consider these packages acceptable for
upload.

Regards,

Bob
--