Re: All my current hinting suggestions (includes XFree86)

severity 227464 important
reassign 232664 uucp
thanks

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 09:04:52PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> => easy xfree86/4.3.0-7 sppc/1.0.1-7 tulip/1.2.5-4
> Lets XFree86 in.

Added as "hint xfree86/4.3.0-7", in case there are other packages
lurking that haven't been built for alpha.

> => easy lam/7.0.4-2 blacs-mpi/1.1-21 scalapack/1.7-7
> python-scientific/2.4.5-2 hdf5/1.6.1-4 netpipe/3.6-1 xmpi/2.2.3b8-3
> Lets that whole list in.

> => easy lm-sensors/2.8.5-3 mrtgutils/0.5 wmsensors/1.0.4-3.3 hardware-monitor/1.0-2 wmgtemp/0.6-3 xsensors/0.40-2
> Lets lm-sensors and all dependencies in, though only once hardware-monitor
> has built on powerpc and waited a few more days.

Hints added for both of these, with a comment on the last one to remind
me to pay attention to it.

> And the old removals:

> => remove atmelwlandriver/2.1.1-3.3
> #229159 (and other bugs)

Hinted.

> => remove dovecot/0.99.10.4-3
> #225048 (data loss).  I know this has been argued, but I still think it's
> not right to ship a package with a dataloss bug like this; your mileage may
> vary.

My mileage doesn't vary.  Package also was not shipped with woody; I
don't see any reason to be lenient about letting another buggy imap
server into stable, we have some of those there already.

> => remove drivel/0.9.1-4
> #226492

Looks like the fixed package is just pending sponsorship, which is
forthcoming.  Hinted anyway for now.

> => remove kronolith/1.1-1
> #227461

Hinted, though hoping someone will package the necessary PEAR glue
soon.

> => remove sendmail/8.13.11.Beta0-1
> #227464.  Also #232664

227464 is now downgraded.  Nowhere in policy does it say that debconf
use is a must, for precisely the reason that not everyone has
transitioned to it yet.

#232664 -- wow, sendmail and uucp, two of my favorite technologies, let
me think about this one. ;p  While I see in policy that it states rmail
should be /usr/sbin/rmail, I don't see anything to support the claim
that a package providing mail-transport-agent is required to contain
/usr/sbin/rmail.  In fact, the only mention of rmail at all is a
"should".

I'm reassigning this bug back to uucp.  The fact that
mail-transport-agent did correlate with the rmail command in the past
does not seem to impose an obligation on MTA maintainers to ensure this
going forward.  Without a policy mandate, the responsibility seems to
lie with the uucp package to depend on a list of acceptable packages (in
the absence of a virtual package with the requisite meaning).

Also, the claim that sendmail is the only mta not providing rmail is
false.  The ssmtp package provides: mail-transport-agent without
providing an rmail binary, and I suspect nullmailer is the same way.

So sendmail is spared.

> => remove zope/2.6.4-1
> #222443

Hinted with dismay.