Re: Problem with kernel on SATA hosts - RC?

Richard Atterer <richard@list04.atterer.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I think there is a problem with kernel-image-2.6.8-1-686, but I'm not sure
> whether I messed up something...
>
> I installed sarge on a SATA host a while ago (Intel ICH, worked just
> fine!). Now I upgraded from the installer's kernel-image-2.6.8-1-386 to
> version 2.6.8-10 of the kernel-image-2.6.8-1-[36]86 package.

The problem is with near certainty that you updated from a
sata-ide driver to a sata-scsi driver. The device names for your disk
subsequently changed from /dev/hda to /dev/sda.

This has a few effects:

1. the modules needed change from what mkinitrd sees as needed
(e.g. then ide-disk, now sd).

2. the root device changes but mkinitrd still puts the old one into
the initrd (default is probe).

3. the device names change but /etc/fstab is not changed. If you get
that far then the fsck tests will fail.

All of this has absolutely no bearing on whether you have modules or
buildin drivers. Debian kernel nowadays don't have anything builtin
that can free up some more space on the floppy.

> The problem: The SATA code is built as modules in the regular kernel
> package, but it mustn't be. You need the following kernel config:

No, it isn't. :)

MfG
        Goswin