Dist-Uprade on HPPA64

Hi,

at the BSP last weekend we tried to dist-upgrade on a HPPA64 (HP C360,
PA8000 Processor). Dist-upgrade does not work smoothly, but one can work
around the problems.

libc6 on HPPA64 depends on a kernel newer than the supplied standard
kernel on woody for HPPA64. Installing a newer kernel (taken from sarge)
did not work, the machine was not able to boot with that kernel as
modules were unloadable. So i took modutils from backports.org and
recompiled it on HPPA. After that, the new kernel worked fine.

So i would say, for dist-upgrades on HPPA64 we should first install a
backported modutils, than getting a new kernel installed. Reboot, and
than do the rest of the dist-upgrade.

Greetings
Martin

--
"The great question... which I have not been able to answer... is, `What
does woman want?'"