Re: KDE 3.3.1 for Sarge

Riku Voipio wrote:
In theory, kde x.y.* should be api/abi compatible. In practice, upstream
may change method in kdelibs between 3.3.2 and 3.3.3 after noticing
that the only user of that method is a plugin in kmail, change the
few place the method is used, and and assume that nobody is going to notice.

Oh, also: don't be afraid to use good software engineering practices. These things should be eminently testable, by, say, running objdump over the original library to get the API, storing that in the source package, and comparing it to what you get when you compile the new release. If it fails, bomb out noisily. If you do this in experimental before the next KDE is released, there's at least half a chance of it being fixed so you don't have to worry about it too, maybe. :-/

You might need something cleverer than objdump for C++ libraries, though, dunno

The most conservetive assumptation would be to assume that only packages of version x.y.z will work together, since that is the only thing upstream tests and guarantees to work.

We'd really like to avoid assuming, especially if the assumptions we'd have to make are too conservative.

Cheers,
aj