Re: Woody->Sarge upgrade report

On Monday 15 November 2004 06:52 am, Frans Pop wrote:
> Steps
> =====
> 1. Install Woody's aptitude
>
> ==> This is not described correctly in Release Notes.

  Not sure where the release notes are; no comment.

> 2. Mark all libs and some other packages as "automatically installed"
> 3. Change sources.list to point to Sarge
> 4. Set debconf frontend to "readline" and start 'script'
>    - Hmmm. I later discovered that this does not show the old choices
>      and default values for questions.
> 5. Run 'aptitude update' -> FAILS
>    Run 'apt-get update'  -> SUCCESS
>
> ISSUE 1: 'aptitude update' fails, but 'apt-get update' has no problems
> Aptitude fails with (see also typescript):
> W: Couldn't stat source package list http://ftp.nl.debian.org sarge/main
> Packages
> (/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.nl.debian.org_debian_dists_sarge_main_binary-i386_P
>ackages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: You may want to update the package lists to correct these missing files

  This is a bug in the woody version of aptitude that has been fixed in sarge.
(although the sarge version still spews those messages)  Just using "apt-get
update" should work.

> ==> This needs to be fixed or changed in Release Notes.
>
> 7. Update dpkg and aptitude to Sarge with 'aptitude install dpkg aptitude'
>    - This also upgrades libc

  It has to, and it should do that automatically.

>    - Installing only dpkg or aptitude is not enough (aptitude will pull in
>      apt and apt-get)

  It has to, and it should do that automatically.

>    - Why is dselect shown as a NEW package (it was installed)

  dselect used to be in the dpkg package, but was split into a separate
package after the release of woody.

> 8. I don't really like the suggestion to run aptitude with --with-suggests,
>    so I decided to just run aptitude and select my packages manually there.

  Who has been promoting the use of --with-suggests??  Not only is that option
a Bad Idea, it has been removed in the sarge version of aptitude (so if you
upgrade aptitude first, that command will fail).

  The -v option will list suggested packages, but I would bet this would
result in an unreadable dump of garbage to the screen if you're upgrading the
whole system.

  Daniel

--
/------------------- Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> ------------------\
|           "But what *does* kill me bloody well leaves me dead!"           |