Upgrades from GNOME 2.6 to GNOME 2.8

Hi!

I've performed some tests of partial upgrades from GNOME 2.6 to GNOME
2.8 in experimental.

I tried to upgrade one component at a time, and once that was done, I
logged out of GNOME, restarted GDM, and killed the GNOME user processes
that could be temporarily laying around (bonobo-activation,
gnome-keyring...). After logging into GNOME again, I tried to start the
applications that usually show problems quite fast (gedit, nautilus,
etc).

In some cases, before upgrading a lib I tested for pending shlib bumps.

The results unveiled two cases of slightly outdated shlibs, and a few
-common/-data packages that are not updated. The former have been fixed
in SVN already, and the latter isn't even a bug in some cases, in other
cases it just means the translations are not completely up to date, but
no grave functionality regression. The GNOME system always worked ok
when logging in after each iteration.

I upgraded stuff in this order:

libbonobo2
gconf2
gnome-vfs2+eel2+nautilus                         (eel2-data not updated)
                                                 (double clicking in
						 nautilus stuff doesn't
						 open the applications
						 due to the MIME
						 transition until the
						 apps involved don't get
						 upgraded)
gedit
libpanel-applet2-0
libgnome2-0
gnome-session
gnome-keyring
evolution
gnome-canvas
cappets+gnome-control-center+gnome-icon+theme
gnome-desktop-data
gnome-about
libgnomeui
libwnck                                     (libwnck-common not updated)
gnome-panel
gnome-applets
libgnome-desktop                                       (outdated shlibs)
libgnomeprintui                   (outdated shlibs, -common not updated)
gnome-terminal

At this point, only normal plain apps were left for upgrade. The core of
GNOME was working ok in every step.

Other tests using different combinations would be welcome, maybe not
step by step. Just adding experimental and doing "apt-get install
gnome-applets", to see how it goes, would be ok, and same for big stuff
like nautilus, etc.

Jordi