Re: upgrade-i386

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 01:07:25PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> So I produced a kernel intended for the upgrade-i386 directory.

> See http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2004/08/msg02087.html

> I wanted it to be tested, but nobody has paid any attention.  I don't
> currently have a place to upload it.

How is this possible?  The last discussions I had with the kernel
maintainers showed that there was no patch available yet that securely
implemented the 486 instruction in emulation that's needed by the new
C++ ABI (as opposed to the known, tested instruction emulation needed by
glibc).

> I send this message to debian-release in hopes that someone will pay
> some attention, since the debian-kernel list apparently doesn't care
> about the upgrade-i386 problem.

I know several of the subscribers care, but what's needed now is a sound
kernel patch, not kernel packages dropped from above.

Also, FWIW, the kernels you provided were based on the existing sources
in woody.  I believe (and the kernel folks I've talked to seem to agree)
that it would be better if the upgrade-i386 directory could be based on
kernel sources matching what we ship in sarge, since the two dists will
have to be maintained in parallel for sarge's lifetime.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer