Re: Parted 1.6.12

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 12:15:32AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Any change that requires an ABI change and a subsequent soname bump and
> recompile of all related software is not one that I would call
> "trivial".

I guess we can agree to disagree on this point then.

> We are in the late stages of a freeze in preparation for the
> next stable release of Debian, and parted is heavily used by our
> installer -- which is what makes this particular bug so important at
> present, but it also makes a forced recompile awkward and rather
> irritating.

I find it surprising that this is inconvienient... I thought Debian
had an automated build system that took the pain out of this kind
of thing.  But, my surprise doesn't improve your difficulties :/

> I defer to your expertise when it comes to decisions of what the
> libparted ABI should look like in the long term; this particular ABI
> change just happens to be particularly ill-timed from our POV.

I see.

> I'm willing to do the work necessary for a backport, but it seems the
> public CVS revision history of libparted is unfortunately rather spotty.
> :/

I have only been checking in working code after testing, so sorry
about that.  (I should be using rtags, I know!)

Can I suggest another option: you could use either Steffen Winterfeldt's
patch, or my version of it?  I believe it solves all the important
problems that users have been running into, and it doesn't change the
ABI at all.

(We discussed this a bit on IRC... I'm posting this email for public
record ;)

Cheers,
Andrew