Re: Non-US CDs no more for sarge?

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 01:20:56PM +0200, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 11:22:41 +0200, Richard Atterer wrote:
> > Will there be non-US CDs for the sarge release? ISTR that some people
> > wanted to get rid of them, and I'm inclined to support that: These days,
> > the non-US section isn't as useful as it used to be

> The remainder consists of a few rather obscure packages:

> --- packages in non-US/main I couldn't find equivalents for in regular main ---
> erlang-slang
> gutenbrowser
> httperf
> pipsecd
> tunnelv
> vtun
> zmailer-ssl

> Now that we have crypto in main, the only real use for non-US is for
> packages that are encumbered by patents in the US which aren't encumbered by
> patents in the EU. I am not aware of any practical packages that fall in
> that category at the moment.

Not any that are in non-US/main in any case, AIUI, which means they
probably wouldn't be released as part of a CD set.

I believe getting non-US into working order again is still considered a
blocker for release, but I think the concern here is non-US/non-free and
getting non-US/main operational to the point that *removals* can be
processed for sarge.  (At least, britney thinks that all of the
above-listed non-US/main packages should be removed.)

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer