Re: New upload of cernlib planned to fix (unfiled) RC bug

Hi Kevin,

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 12:00:06PM -0400, Kevin B. McCarty wrote:
> My sponsor (Bas) and I are planning an upload of cernlib to unstable
> with priority medium.  The upload fixes an (unfiled) possibly RC bug
> similar to #245915, but affecting the libgeant1-dev binary package.  The
> problem is that the current library cannot be linked against dynamically
> due to some undefined symbols.  The symbols are undefined due to the
> necessity of removing non-DFSG code (the "FLUKA" library) from the
> cernlib source package.  The new upload of cernlib will solve the
> problem by defining dummy symbols to replace the missing ones.

> Since cernlib takes some time to compile on slower architectures, we
> would like to ask for people's help in building and uploading the new
> release, especially on mips, mipsel, arm and m68k, in order to make the
> August 27 deadline and not overload the buildds.  If the deadline is not
> met, we will plan to upload to t-p-u if the Release Managers approve.

Please go ahead and upload to unstable with an urgency appropriate for
the posted freeze schedule.  It is likely that the freeze is going to be
delayed to let autobuilders catch up; there are a lot of RC bug fixes
currently in the needs-build queue.

> Finally, note that cernlib will not automatically transition to testing
> in any case until its broken ia64 and alpha binary packages are removed
> from testing; please see (and, if you have the ability, fix :-) bug #
> 255970 against ftp.debian.org.

Nope, that'll have to wait for an ftpmaster...

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer