Re: logrotate 3.7-2 and m68k

Hi Paul,

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 12:25:26PM +0100, Paul Martin wrote:
> The m68k buildd was choking on logrotate due to a gcc internal error in
> gcc-3.3. I've been pestered into ensuring that 3.7 gets into sarge
> [m68k].

> All other arches are up-to-date in sarge. Only m68k has a much older
> revision, due to the gcc error.

> What I've done is to compile a binary-only upload on crest using
> gcc-3.0 and uploaded it to incoming today.

> As the changelog shows "low" priority, what's the chances of
> logrotate_3.7-2_m68k.deb getting into sarge?

> (Logrotate is "Priority: important")

The package has been held out of testing only because of the missing
m68k build; now that it's available, logrotate should move into testing
with tomorrow's dinstall.

That said, please don't try to work around build failures by building
packages using tools not in the archive (but thank you for telling us
that you had done so!).  This makes it very difficult for the security
team to do their job.

This issue warrants opening an RC bug against logrotate, that should be
addressed before sarge.  There will probably be someone on debian-68k
(cc:ed) who can verify for us whether logrotate does build with gcc-3.4,
leaving only the task of uploading a package to testing-proposed-updates
that does build from source.  (For the record, gcc-3.4 will not be a
default compiler on any arch for sarge, so you will need to add a
build-dependency and explicitly set CC=gcc-3.4 for m68k.)

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer