[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Upgrade report: woody->sarge


I just finished an upgrade from woody to sarge and Debian prooved again that 
it is a very robust system. In total it took arround 2 hours and apart from 
one major glitch it was very smooth and running the upgrade was comfortable. 

The woody system contained already some backports from backports.org and KDE 
3.2.2 from kde.org.

The major glitch I saw, that after setting sources.list to testing and running

apt-get dist-upgrade

Then I got very soon the major glitch

849 packages upgraded, 237 newly installed, 26 to remove and 4  not upgraded.
39 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/626MB of archives. After unpacking 431MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
/usr/bin/perl: relocation error: /usr/lib/perl5/auto/Text/Iconv/Iconv.so: un
defined symbol: Perl_Gthr_key_ptr

Then I started upgrading libc6 and perl with dpkg -i <list of packetnames>

dpkg told me the missing packages. I was quite happy that that worked out for 
me, but there might be some users which can't do that. Could anybody look 
into that glitch in more detail?

I uploaded the transscript to


(please note, not all parts are included, I switched to the console because I 
feared that X or KDE break eventually. But it did not happen....that was 

The console transscript is


There is also some part missing when I accidentailly continued the upgrade in 
the wrong xterm (but this is only a relatively boring part after the major 
problem was fixed).

After I managed to get this worked out, I sometimes got conflicts of files 
which are in two packets. Rerunning apt-get -f dist-upgrade solved that 
problem ususally.

Another issue was that I did find installation manuals for sarge but not 
upgrade manual.

Hope that helps sarge along its way...

Thanks for the excellent system,

Rainer Dorsch
Alzentalstr. 28
D-71083 Herrenberg
Icq: 32550367

Reply to: