Re: Upload of GNOME 2.6 to unstable

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 02:51:15PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 09:55:42PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > > I don't think it'd work without lots of effort -- selecting packages
> > > from a suite needs to be done explicitly rather than by a build-depends
> > > afaics; happy to be proven wrong though.
> > I was thinking about versioned build-depends, which would work only if
> > experimental wouldn't shift too much between the time of upload and the
> > time of build.
>
> Sure, I was thinking the same; but given:
>
> 	foo | 1.0-1 | i386 | unstable
> 	bar | 1.0-1 | i386 | unstable
> 	foo | 2.0-1 | i386 | experimental
> 	bar | 2.0-1 | i386 | experimental
>
> I didn't think you could get:
>
> 	Build-Depends: foo (>= 1.0-1), bar (>= 2.0-1)
>
> to install foo from unstable and bar from experimental without writing
> some apt-ish logic of your own. I'm happy to be proven wrong, though: if
> it already works, that's great.

Hm, right.

Not immediately, no. It would need some sbuild hacking so that it would
explicitely ask for the right versions: although sbuild does have a
Build-Depends parser, it does not have an "available" file parser. It
checks whether build-dependencies are available by trying to install
them, and errors out if versions aren't up to snuff afterwards.

Adding something to parse /var/lib/dpkg/available and/or
/var/lib/apt/lists/* would not only be interesting to allow for
experimental, it would also make sure sbuild won't waste time on regular
build by installing build-dependencies it doesn't need anyway because a
given version of a given package isn't available.

> Having an email that says:
>
> 	Build: baz 3.0-0pre3
> 	Dsc-Size-MD5: 2341 da362d749976851a61571238cfe31f09
> 	Target-Release:
> 		bar experimental
>
> otoh would be pretty easy to deal with: check the explicitly listed
> packages (apt-get install bar/experimental), then satisfy remaining
> build-depends from unstable in the normal way, unpack the .dsc, build it,
> mail the maintainer when it's done, and make the .debs, logs, .changes
> and ideally a tarred copy of the final build directory available via
> http for review and possible upload.
>
> That's not regular auto building obviously -- it's not automatic for one.
> It'd be a good complement to what we've already got though, I think,
> and a good fit for experimental packages.

Hmm, yeah. I'll probably look at this some time or other.

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks