Re: Upload of GNOME 2.6 to unstable

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 09:37:08PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 02:24:54PM +0200, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
> > > At the moment, afaics, packages have only been uploaded to experimental
> > > for i386 and powerpc. Please make sure they're building on all
> > > architectures before even considering a major change like this.
> >   Sorry, but this is not easy... Currently my s/390 machine is busy
> >   making coffee ;-)
> >   <joke off>IMO this is quite difficult without experimental having
> >   autobuilder support.
>
> Yeah, no one said it was easy. But no one said you had to do it alone,
> either: you need to get in contact with people yourself and get them to
> help. Mailing lists, and the Debian contacts page will help you here, as
> will getting on IRC and pestering for people with appropriate machines. If
> this means you end up with -4 building on seven architectures, -3 build
> on two, -2 built on one, and one architecture not built in experimental,
> that's not necessarily a problem. Only having the packages built on two
> architectures *is* a showstopper, though.

What about setting up a parallel autobuilder chain for experimental,
maybe on people's home machines and such ? I tried (quickly) two times
to install gnome 2/6 on ppc, and it failed because some binary:all
component of the package was of a newer version that the binary:ppc one.

Friendly,

Sven Luther