Re: Upload of GNOME 2.6 to unstable

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Andreas Barth wrote:

> * Martin-Éric Racine (q-funk@pp.fishpool.fi) [040418 20:10]:
> > On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > > Please take into account that there is no way we would update an entire
> > > GNOME system in such an update.  The updates are only meant to suck up
> > > all those security patches, fix a few very critical bugs and correct
> > > license issues.
>
> > That policy really ought to be relaxed to at least include important, but not
> > necessarily critical updates (e.g. fixes annoying, but not destructive, should
> > become an acceptable reason. See #221404 for an example of what SHOULD become an
> > acceptable revision item.
>
> I agree that we should try to get rid of annoying bugs. But - the way
> to do this is not to break our point releases, but to release Debian
> quite more often. If we really manage to release Debian about once a
> year, such bugs are not so bad as it seems now.
>
> But: Definitly point releases are _not_ the right way to get a new
> gnome version in. No way.

Depends.  I would not have a problem with e.g. getting in a minor GNOME release,
as long as it has been properley tested.  For example, if 2.4.2 were to to in
Sarge, but someone packaged a 2.4.3 bugfixing release after Sarge hits stable,
it really should go in 3.1 r1.

--
Martin-Éric Racine, ICT Consultant
http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/