Re: tracking removals from testing

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 03:53:42PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Maybe we should use the "confirmed" tag on RC bugs as a cue that the
> package definitely needs removing? (Or perhaps a "sarge-confirmed" tag
> until version-tracking is finished)

Eh, I use the 'confirmed' tag for bugs (RC or not) that I as maintainer
consider a real bug: I identified and understand the problem, agree with
the submitter it _is_ a problem and will fix it.[1]

But still, I think it is a good suggestion, if the maintainer tags a RC
bug 'confirmed', it really means the bug should be fixed or the package
removed. A maintainer indicating 'confirmed' means he's active, so it
should be a rare event to find those bugs: the maintainer is likely to
get them fixed soon then, so they won't be around long.

Also, it's relatively rare for maintainers to use 'confirmed'.

Every package to be removed needs manual (bug-)inspection anyway.
Maybe 'confirmed + help' is better though: it indicates the maintainer
isn't going to solve it on his own, so really needs external attention
(like removing).

--Jeroen

[1] This for sorting out long buglists, while hacking on your package,
    you can look at confirmed bugs only, and when you're doing bug
    maintainance, you look at the list and tag moreinfo, unreproducable,
    confirmed, wontfix  or help as applicable.

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl