Re: status of postgresql for sarge?

Oliver Elphick wrote:
> In order to cure this, we need to change the woody package, either to
> force it to do a dump in the prerm or to save all the shared libraries
> it needs to go with its binaries for use by the new package's postinst.
>
> Even then, there will be problems for those who don't upgrade woody.
> The best solution will be the new PostgreSQL package structure I am
> working on, but I am not ready to release that yet.

IFF a change to the woody package is small and will help future upgrades
to sarge (and not affect upgrades in woody itself), I could be persuaded
to include such an update in a point release through proposed-updates.
This could even be classified as 'prevents data loss'.

Hence, if you are able to provide proper adjustments for the packages
in woody to smoothen the upgrade path, please prepare a patch and
discuss this with me (off-list should be enough).  Having the prerm
do the dump, sounds more appropriate to me than saving a binary and
tons of libraries.

Regards,

	Joey

--