Re: status of postgresql for sarge?

Martin Pitt writes:
> Hi Matthias!
>
> On 2004-03-06 17:14 +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> > postgresql still has one RC report open, which was marked pending on
> > 24 Feb by Martin Pitt.
>
> Right, our current CVS fixes some ten bugs, amongst them the RC bug.
>
> > Are there plans to make the pending upload?  When? postgresql
> > currently blocks some more packages.
>
> According to Oliver (the primary maintainer) there will be a new
> bugfix upstream release soon, which would be a good opportunity to
> upload an updated package.
>
> > If the upload is not made ... postgresql had two RC reports, which are
> > fixed in unstable (versioned shlibs dependency), and which allowed
> > other packages enter testing (libpqxx-2.1.3, pygresql). Is it ok to
> > make uploads directly for testing to fix the non-working packages
> > (undefined symbols in libpq3 library)?
>
> Is that really possible? Some time ago I asked on d-devel for this
> [1], but never really got a satisfying answer. Nevertheless, I would
> not dare to put the new postgresql directly into testing.

No, the proposal was to fix the broken packages libpqxx-2.1.3,
pygresql with a direct upload to testing.

As Colin said, an update of postgresql, which fixes the RC report,
maybe with priority medium, and then migrates to testing in five days
is the preferred solution.

> The automatic upgrading is still broken; a longer-term solution is
> progressing, but far from being ready for shipment.

OTOH, if the upload doesn't fix the RC report and it was already
broken in sarge, then maybe downgrade the severity and let it go to
testing as it is now?

	Matthias