Re: Consider building ksysguardd without libsensors support for now?

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 02:42:26PM -0600, Chris Cheney wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 05:43:07PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Probably the biggest task remaining for sarge as I see it is getting
> > meta-kde and all its dependencies ready. Now, I know there are various
> > build issues and things, most of which seem to be finally crawling
> > towards resolution, but one thing that currently looks like a
> > showstopper is that ksysguardd (and indirectly ksysguard) depend on
> > libsensors2, and lm-sensors is having major problems getting itself
> > ready for sarge which have been discussed quite extensively on
> > debian-devel without resolution, and which seem to be fairly intractable
> > at the moment.
>
> The various build issues are not coming any closer to being resolved. Or
> at least don't look that way to me. The incompetent buildd admins are
> still around and still have not retried builds they should never have
> failed in the first place (all the g++ related ones).

If I were you, in future, I'd use a versioned Build-Depends: to make
sbuild automatically upgrade g++, or at the very least a
Build-Conflicts: on the problematic versions.

Looking through the wanna-build states, every build that's maybe-failed
for this reason is in state Building, not Failed. The builds may not
actually have happened yet, but the buildd maintenance looks reasonable
to me.

> > I notice that the lm-sensors dependency is i386-specific, so presumably
> > it's just an optional feature. I'd really like to remove this roadblock
> > so that we can get on with other things, and maybe put it back later if
> > and when lm-sensors gets sorted out. Would you consider building
> > ksysguardd without lm-sensors support for now?
>
> The lm-sensors problem with kdebase is minor compared to all the other
> problems KDE has currently, but yes once the other problems are resolved
> if lm-sensors is still an issue I will upload a version of kdebase with
> no dependency on lm-sensors.

I think it's fairly clear that it will still be an issue, and the reason
I brought it up now is that there's no point waiting for builds of
kdebase when the current version clearly isn't going to get into testing
any time soon ... I'm trying to get problems resolved in parallel rather
than in series.